Friday 30 April 2010

I'VE REACHED THE BIG 7 0

I was born 70 years ago yesterday, six weeks premature, in the back bedroom of a small Victorian terraced house, during an air raid. It was only after I had arrived, weighing in at three and a half pounds that the midwife realised there was another baby to be delivered. The Midwife removed the soiled draw sheets, put them in a wicker clothes basket by the bed. She then wrapped me in some towels, put me in the clothes basket too and got on with delivering my brother. My Gran was in the washhouse at the bottom of the yard lighting the fire under the boiler to ensure a good supply of hot water and when she came back to the bedroom it was to see my brother being delivered. She picked up the clothes basket containing the washing and little old me and set off for the washhouse. Thankfully, the Midwife realised the basket had gone and called from the window just as Gran arrived at the washhouse door. Phew! I nearly had an early bath . My brother was just under four pounds and we shared a single pram for the first four months of our lives. We survived more air-raids and came through the war unscathed. I married at twenty and had three lovely daughters and then when I was thirty four, fate again tried to get rid of me and I was diagnosed with oral cancer. After an eight hour operation to remove the tumour, during which my heart stopped , half my tongue and the glands from my neck were removed and
I had to have eight more plastic surgeries to rebuild my mouth and neck. I couldn't speak for weeks, but oh boy, have I made up for it since. I can talk the hind legs off a donkey.
The following years of my life were great and Greg and I enjoyed life to the full. We've travelled to lots of wonderful places and had great fun with an endless stream of pets.
We now have five Grandchildren and a Great Grandchild on the way.
Last year I had a hip replacement (and a blood clot in my leg) oops! which has given me a new lease of life( the hip, not the clot) and despite attempts to stop me I'VE MADE IT TO SEVENTY YIPPEE!!



13 comments:

Sunny said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear Chris...
Happy Birthday to you!!

What an interesting 70 years you have had, may the next 70 be full of only the best things!
Sunny :)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

What a happy post!!
And I send you my wishes for a most lovely day!!
May the next year be full of all good things!

ms toast burner said...

What a great post!

Happy Birthday, Chris! :-)

Pyatshaw said...

Congratulations! I'll be joining you (metaphorically) later in the year. You were certainly meant to survive!

PurestGreen said...

Hooray! What a story - adventures abound. Happy happy birthday to you. It's great to be a Beltane baby.

jabblog said...

Very Many Happy Returns of the Day Chris - and you certainly deserve them. I hope you have a lovely day and weekend and many more happy days to come.

happyone said...

Happy Birthday!! Wow, that is some story. I wonder what is in store for you next!!
How cool to be a twin.
Always enjoy stopping by. :-)

Lindy said...

My apologies for being late with birthday wishes. I raise my glass and wish you all things wonderful in this next year.

I'm so glad you didn't get that premature bath! LOL! Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. You are truly an inspiration!

Many happy returns!

George said...

Congratulations on reaching the big 7-0. You've certainly had your share of adventures along the way. My mother turned 90 yesterday and I wish you could health as you move toward that milestone.

Andrea said...

Oh so wonderful post. Congratulations for making lots of successes in this journey called life. Happy birthday and i am sure you will have long years ahead, because you are a graceful survivor! Maybe you should post something about your experiences with your twin, you write very well, and it is a very lovely reading. Enjoy life to the fullest, you already did and more!

Chris said...

Thank you all for your kind birthday wishes.
Sofia. I had no idea that I am a Beltane baby, but that,s great to know.
George. Well done to your Mum for reaching 90. My Mum was 94 when she died and my Gran 96, so there may be hope for me.
Andrea. I like your idea of me posting about my twin, I'll do so at a later date.

Neil Tasker said...

Happy belated Birthday wishes Chris. You can't keep a good wummin down! x

D said...

Chris, you just can't keep a great gal down! Congratulations and a happy belated birthday.

I've been remiss in reading some blogs these days: busy with the increased vegetable garden and some bad hip issues... hm... wouldn't be anything associated with age now would it? :)

I wanted to mention that on one of your older blogs (A Drive From Newtonmore- December) you have spam in your comments section. You might want to change it to "approving all comments" so as to avoid this kind of tasteless commentary.

Hope all is well! and I look forward to wishing you many more happy days!