Sunday 21 March 2010

A VERY ENJOYABLE BREAK

Last week we enjoyed a few days in Strathpeffer (Strath of the River Peffery) . This pretty village owes it's existence to the discovery in the 19th century of mineral wells. The village became very popular and Hotels were built to house the rich and famous who visited for the season. The pump room would have provided curative waters in various ways. In the afternoon visitors may have enjoyed excursions by horse drawn carriage, or play tennis or croquet or stroll in the pavilion gardens.
Click on pictures for more details.
Below is the Ben Wyvis Hotel where we stayed, it was once a Victorian country house and contains many original features.

These shots are of the lovely countryside around the village.



Set amongst the trees is Castle Leod, built in the 16th century it is a fine example of a Scottish tower house. It was the seat of the Clan Mackenzie.


This is The Eagle Stone, carved by the picts. If you enlarge the picture you may be able to make out the carving of an eagle beneath a horseshoe complete with nail holes. No one is sure of the meaning of these stones. There are many fine examples in this part of Scotland.

The Spa Pavilion where visitors would have enjoyed concerts. The recently restored building is well used today for many forms of entertainment.

One of many churches in the village, this one is the Free Church of Scotland.

The impressive Highland Hotel

An example of the pretty houses
found in the village.

One of my favourites.


10 comments:

jabblog said...

What a lovely place to visit - things to enchant the eye everywhere you look. The stone is most interesting - fascinating to contemplate what it might be conveying.

happyone said...

What a fabulous place to get away too. It's beautiful!! I'd love to walk around there. Thanks for all the wonderful pictures!!

Lindy said...

So many beautiful things to see and discover! It looks like your weather cooperated, as well. =)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Chris, What a fabulous place. I would love to visit that little village. Your hotel looks incredible--but then again, so does the Highland Hotel. WOW!!!!

The countryside is fabulous --and I LOVE that old church. I also love that house in your last picture. How quaint.... LOVE IT.

Thanks so much for sharing... Your country is just gorgeous.
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

The village looks as if it has just appeared from a picture book. The architecture is stunning. I'm afraid that I wouldn't want to leave once I got there. I found the Eagle Stone to be fascinating. The detail is marvelous when it is enlarged.

Linda said...

Lovely to see this in winter. Hope you feel all the better for your spa break.

Frostbite and Sunburn said...

Lovely photos, splashes of green and gorgeous buildings - thanks for sharing.

Mika said...

These photo's would change the destination of anyone's planned vacation!! And for that, I thank you.

ms toast burner said...

I love this post!

I would love to visit this place; a pretty town, old castles and artefacts and the surrounding countryside is gorgeous.

I could stare into that scene in the photo above the Eagle Stone all day.

Strathpeffer... it's on my list!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Chris, me again!!!! You asked about two of my birds which I pictured on my blog. The Brown Thrasher is a 'thrasher' for sure. With that long beak, he can put a big dent in my suet cakes... ha!

The Northern Flicker is in the woodpecker family. Isn't he pretty????

Hope you had a good day.
Hugs,
Betsy